Each month I pick a question sent in by one of my newsletter subscribers to answer. June’s Reader Question of the Month is from Naomi.
Q: What is the best way to prevent burnout in general? And follow up question, if you think you are already feeling the effects, what can you do to prevent it from taking over your overall wellbeing completely?
Let’s take a look at your lifestyle and see if you may be prone to experience periods of burnout. Are there activities you do repetitively that leave you mentally, physically, emotionally, relationally, or spiritually depleted?
You have to recognize your risk and then be willing to change something. You can’t correct what out of balance in your life if you won’t confront the issue. You have to challenge your automatic responses and determine if they are serving you well.
Some common signs of burnout include:
- Feeling tired and exhausted all the time
- Frequent headaches, neck pain, body aches, and muscle soreness
- Easily moved to anger and irritation
- Growing dependency on food, pills, and wine to help you feel better
- Feeling depressed and stressed out
- Feeling like nothing you do makes a difference or is appreciated
- Catching colds and getting sick more than others
- Feeling detached from family and friends
- Having a negative outlook on life
Have Common Burnout Solutions Failed You?
Multi-tasking– Attempting to do many things at one time may seem like a way to get much done and free up some margin in your day, but multi-tasking often backfires and leads to burnout faster. It splits your attention between activities and increases the potential for errors and reduces your overall performance. You actually finish faster if you allocate time to complete each task before moving to the next.
- Get adequate physical rest
- Rediscover the joy in work
- Prioritize your priorities
- Surround yourself with goodness
- Place value on silence and solitude
- Have a creative outlet
- See self-care as mandatory for longevity
Your Burnout Recovery Plan
- Identify the areas of your life you are most feeling the effects of burnout.
- Determine ways you can pour back into those areas.
- Develop work-rest ratio that allows you to be your most productive and still able to retain your joy and happiness.
Signup for updates on when the Rest Quiz will be available HERE
Explore other podcasts here.